Chapter 1 General Principles
1. Eastern Forum of Sciences and Technology (EFST), jointly initiated and sponsored by the Shanghai Municipality, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE), is a comprehensive, prospective and strategical symposium of Sciences and Technology. It is composed of scientists, technologist and engineers nationwide.
2. The Aim of the Forum: Address the front edge and the future of sciences, encourage Creative consciousness, Promote scientific knowledge and Technological innovation, create an ambience for free academic discussion, speed up the maturity of young personnel, encourage the interconnection and interfusion between different disciplines.
3. The Topics for Discussion: the cutting edge and key issues in life science, information science and material science etc. and the technology, involved, which are being developed with Emphasis by local government and the state, and have important effects on high/new technology industries Meanwhile, seminars on engineering technology, environment, modern agriculture and basic sciences are also to be held.
4. The principles to be followed: Apply the policy of "Let a hundred schools of thought contend", advocate a realistic and creative attitude, foster and enhance the spirit of academic equality, free thinking, free discussing and free debating.
Chapter 2 Organization
5. Personages of high social reputation are to be engaged as advisors, directing the development and activities of the Forum.
6. An organizing committee that composed of directors from the Shanghai Municipality, CAS, CAE and other related sectors, is responsible for the organization and operation of the Forum.
7. In according with the arrangements and requirements of the organization committee, the Forum Office is to be installed, which is charge of logistical affairs and daily operations. The Forum office is located at CAS Shanghai Branch.
8. The Responsibilities of the Organization committee
(1) Discuss and decide the aim and the task of the EFST.
(2) Scrutinize motions, draft topics, and invite experts of superior academic attainments as executive chairman.
(3) Deliberate and approve reports of the organization committee.
(4) Budget the funds of the Forum.
(5) Formulate and revise the organization rules of the Forum.
Chapter 3 Operation and Methods
9. Any scientist, technologist and engineer may submit suggestion for a meeting and file applications for attendance in accordance with the principles of EFST.
10. The organization committee, after pooling together suggestions from all sides, will screen application, draft topics, and invite experts of high attainments as executive chairman for an accepted meeting. The committee will issue a notice for a preparatory meeting and organize a preparatory crew. Participants shall receive a formal invitation letter in advance. Forms of suggestion and applications are available at the Forum Office and our website.
11. It is tentatively decided that about 10 symposiums will be held annually, each lasting 1~ 2 days, with an attendance of 30-40. First, keynote speeches by 1-3 experts, and together with discussion on certain topics.
12. Academic Vocation: Once a year, each lasting 2~ 3 days. Generally in July or August. Free discussion involving diverse disciplines on 1~ 2 selected "hot-point" topics.
13. The Duties of the Executive Chairman:
-Decide the theme or basic content of the discussion.
-Align the reports and speeches on special topics.
-Recommend, invite participants and guide the meeting into in-depth creative discussion.
14. Reports on special topics should be of high quality, comprehensive reviews and prospective comments, and provide rich systematic and the latest information to as to ensure high-standard and exhaustive discussion. (Time limit: 50 min)
15. Speeches on special topics should expound some vital point, or present different views. (Time limit: 20 min)
16. Each symposium attendees will be composed of high-ranking scientists of different disciplines and different backgrounds by means of announcement, admission and invitation of the total attendance that includes the senior, the middle-aged and the young. The outstanding young scholars should account for a certain proportion. Overseas Chinese scholars are also welcome.
Chapter 4 Funds
17. Funds will be provided by the sponsors. Contributions from social circles, corporations and individuals are also welcome.
18. The symposium will provide accommodation for all invited participants (not including travel expenses). The symposium may cover the travel expenses for special invited will-known experts at home and abroad.
Chapter 5 Supplement
19.This rule has been passed and applied by the organization committee of EFST. The right of explanation resides in the organization committee of EFST.